Fred’s Bookshop have teamed up with Bookshop.org to provide our customers with an online ordering and shipping service.
We know there is nothing quite as lovely as browsing a real bookshop but we also wanted to find a way that you could support us from your own homes. Ordering from our store online means you’re supporting us as an independent bookshop who pays our taxes, employs local people and keeps a lovely little bookshop available for browsing here in the heart of the English Lake District. If you’re visiting and want a particular book you can call the shop and we’ll make sure we have it in for you. The online selection doesn’t necessarily reflect what we keep in store… but many many more!
How it works:
- Click the link to be take to our online shop – make sure you see Fred’s Ambleside Bookshop at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down to browse our curated lists, where you’ll find most genres you’d expect to find in our shop! See if there is anything you fancy – then order online following the instructions – sit back and wait for the postie to bring your books!
- If you don’t see what you’re looking for you can use the search function – then when you select the book you want make sure you see Fred’s logo as you add it to the basket.
- Be careful that you’re not steered accidently away from Fred’s via the menu tabs which offers categories from other peoples lists. Look out for Fred’s Logo to be sure you’re with us before you check out.
- If you ever think you’ve lost us or been directed to another shop by accident, you can find us again by clicking ‘choose a bookshop’ or the map icon – this will relog your cookies to us 🙂
- Postage costs are per order not per item, so the more you buy in one go then the more you save on postage.
- Once your order is sent you can feel jolly good about yourself for helping to keep a lovely independent bookshop going. Thank you kindly!
Every online purchase made from our page on Bookshop.org supports us (spread the word to your friends!) though we benefit most, and love to see your face, if you pop into the shop. Some of our local titles and signed copies are exclusively available only via us in the shop (not online). We also love to stay connected to our faithful customers from further afield after you return home so be sure to join us on social media!
Did you know?
- We pay our taxes and we pay our staff a fair wage
- We are a local business, employing local people and supporting locals families and businesses for over 50 years.
- We are a retailer, we buy from wholesalers and publishers and sell to the public. When wholesalers sell direct to the public (you know who we’re talking about!) they cut out the retailer. Local businesses suffer, local people lose employment and highstreets shops close.
- Buying from our store on bookshop.org means we can still get some of the cut and you still have the convenience of ordering online and home delivery when you can’t make it into the shop to say hello!